Forums » Running A Property Management Company

Accounting for Property Managers??

• December 5, 2010 4:38 PM PST

What does everyone use for accounting and how do you have it setup?

• 5 posts
    December 8, 2010 8:45 AM PST

I personally use Rentec Direct for keeping track of my rentals. Full disclosure, I'm also affiliated with Rentec Direct, but don't hold that against them. It's a great program and has a free 30 day trial.

• December 8, 2010 5:19 PM PST

Does it sync with Quickbooks?

• 5 posts
    December 8, 2010 5:25 PM PST

Hi Matthew,

Our system is more-or less a replacement for QuickBooks, at least for the property management specific operations of a business. Quickbooks was never designed with property managers or landlords in mind, and that's why most find it very clunky to use for that.

• December 8, 2010 5:31 PM PST

Agreed, but we are also doing rehab so I have not found a PM software that can handle that as well.

I was checking your site out. i do like its simple clean interface but it seems like it is lacking in a few areas. There seems to be no work order tracking and I did not find much documentation on its mobile capabilities.

• 5 posts
    December 8, 2010 5:44 PM PST

Hello Matthew,

We recently updated the design of our website and have not yet documented quite all the features (soo many). We do however have a full workorder system within the software. It even allows tenant to place repair requests which automatically enter workorders and allow the PM to assign to a vendor or employee. There's a lot in there.

One of our core philosophies is to keep it simple. Quickbooks is very intimidating for somebody who has never used it, as are many of the other property management platforms (Yardi, etc..). We've really designed our system to be easy to learn, yet feature rich. Most features are accessible and easy to learn in a matter of minutes and require little to no training at all.

Feel free to try it out if you wish, or I'm also happy to answer any other questions.