Forums » Running A Property Management Company

Mgmt. license required for unoccupied 2nd home?

• 5 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:46 AM PDT

Hey everyone-

This is an embarrassingly basic question, but I was on the phone with the Oregon Real Estate Association and while discussing client trust accounts, they claimed that "vacation homes are purely contractual", and they are "not under their jurisdiction".   They said no license was needed to manage homes such as this. The OREA representative that I spoke with was clearly hurried (and, to be honest, not in a terribly helpful 'mood'), so I want to get a second opinion.   Of course, this might all be moot, because I just obtained a property management license (mainly to take care of this home!).

The owner lives overseas and comes back 2 times a year.   It is never occupied by renters. My job is basically to keep the house in shape and prepare it for their arrival.  

Thanks for any advice.

Ryan Lenz

• 27 posts
    August 26, 2016 11:26 PM PDT

It depends on the rules and regulations of your state. In Texas, a broker'€™s license is required to manage vacation homes.

• 27 posts
    August 26, 2016 11:28 PM PDT

It depends on the rules and regulations of your state. In Texas, a broker'€™s license is required to manage vacation homes.